Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Our Ante-bellum Government

Stumbled on an interesting publication from Ohio, written by the auditor, called "Ohio Lands Book".

Seems the federal government was active in the subsidizing of:
  • public schools
  • canals
  • railroads
  • ministers (apparently uniquely, Congress designated something over 40,000 acres for supporting religion)
  • salt springs
  • swamplands
  • specific grants to colleges (i.e., preceding the Morrill Land Grant Act.)
[updated to insert "acres]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of subsidizing, I don't believe the government should be in every aspect of our lives, but it does make me chuckle when someone starts to take an anti-government tone in a conversation and start claiming that they are entirely independent of government assistance when that is almost impossible. It reminds me of a time my father-in-law and I, both employed by state and federal governments, were on a Thursday morning guided fishing trip and the Captain went a little anti-government. I wasn't there to discuss that, but little did he know that his trip that morning was in effect subsidized by the government, both in time and money.