Friday, September 04, 2009

Obama Can't Win

Two leading voices of the right have entirely opposite takes on our President:

Mr. Krauthammer in the Post this morning attacks him as Icarus whose wax wings have melted, an audacious flyer, all left wing, who is now going to have to operate as an ordinary politician. He says:
Obama unveiled his plans for a grand makeover of the American system, animating that vision by enacting measure after measure that greatly enlarged state power, government spending and national debt
Meanwhile, Mr. Brooks in the Times writes on health care reform, seeing Obama as a timid politician who wrongly promised everyone they wouldn't lose an existing health plan if they liked it, urging him to be bold:
This is not the time to get incremental. It’s the time to get fundamental. Reform the incentives. Make consumers accountable for spending. Make price information transparent. Reward health care, not health services. Do what you set out to do. Bring change.

4 comments:

allisonam said...

I side with Mr. Brooksm Pres. Obama needs to do exactly what he set out to do and promised durig his campaign with healthcare reform. The Republicans,Right Wingers and Conservatives have no creative ideas or incentives to offer Americans to get us out of this economic mess they have created. The are now stooping to the lowest of human condition and that is organizers of hate mob's across the country.

Anonymous said...

I see It this way all You lemmings need to find that cliff or job surport Your self thats the good old American way not gov't handouts yes he should be looking into job creation shut his yap or You should all jump God You people make me tired Yes I'm employed and have my Health care package

Bill Harshaw said...

Allison: :-) Although I have a visceral reaction to some of what I see, I keep reminding myself high emotion is often found in politics. (I remember my father, the president of the local school board, dealing in a town hall meeting with angry and anxious parents.)

Bill Harshaw said...

Anonymous: I don't see either Brooks or Krauthammer suggesting Obama should create more jobs. IMHO if a substantial reform of health care goes through, he will be creating more jobs for doctors, nurses, and home care techs.