Friday, August 08, 2008

Is Hemingway Back?

Poppa was a big big figure in the arts when I was growing up. People (the artsy types) mocked, but "The Old Man and the Sea" did great (in the 50's). Then, after his suicide and the gradual subsidence of his wives, his children, his reputation, he seemed to be very much a has-been.

But, consider this:

"Bleargh. I did this [i.e., mock a TV show] comfortably from a perch way up on my high horse, where I listened to the Stones and read Hemingway and scowled at girls in obscenely short shorts and bought glasses like Tina Fey's. Competitive dance?"
This is from Caitlin Gibson, a guest blogger for Joel Achenbach, who, by the name alone, must be young, young young. And I swear I've noted a couple other cites of Hemingway recently. He must be on the way back. (Has over 4 million hits on Google--maybe he was never gone, except in my mind?)

No comments: