Saturday, August 14, 2021

"Produced" Versus "Result of"

 I've dipped my toe into reading about the current controversy on critical race theory, but haven't gotten into it in any depth.  

One thing which did strike was a statement to the effect that "policy produced the 'hood'". To me that's a sequence like "Person A decided on policy B, policy B created C" with the implication that C was the intent of the person, the decider.  

Compare that to a statement that "policy resulted in the 'hood'". To me that's a sequence like "Person A decided on policy B, a result of policy B was C" with the implication that  C may or may not have been the intent of the decider.

As someone who likes Murphy's law the second version is more to my liking. I think there are a lot of cases where the decider focuses on the immediate situation and adopts a policy which she thinks will solve the problem, not realizing there are ramifications and unknown unknows also at play which will create unintended results.

The difference between intent and result.

No comments: