Friday, June 24, 2022

Crime and My Six Convicts

 There's a lot of discussion of crime these days, particularly on Twitter where I follow Peter Moskos, @PeterMoskos, a professor who served as a policeman in Baltimore. 

A very popular book in 1951, so popular mom gave it to dad for Christmas, was this (from the entry in Goodreads):

My Six Convicts: A Psychologist's Three Years in Fort Leavenworth

really liked it 4.00  ·   Rating details ·  20 ratings  ·  2 reviews
With an appointment by the U.S.Public Health Service to conduct research in the relationship between drug addiction and criminality in the new research hospital at Fort Leavenworth Penitentiary, I arrived as a professor of psychology and left three years later as a professor of psychology in the 1930s, but not the same, not the same at all. But this book is not a record of the research project but rather a reminiscent impression of the "humors, whimsies and tragedies of my six convict assisants--my world as they saw it and their world as I saw it".

As he mentioned, he had six convicts who assisted in his research.  IIRC he didn't discuss his research much, but tells stories, stories which one reviewer found fictional.  But at the end, again if I remember, he described some of the six convicts as men who couldn't be rehabilitated and released. 


No comments: