Saturday, June 18, 2022

Cars and Pedestrians--A Metaphor II

 A continuation from yesterday:

What's going on?  

  • there's a good binary separation going on: I'm either a driver in a car, or a walker.
  • there's a power difference: as a walker I can't do much to a car; as a driver I can kill the walker
  • there's a conflict of interests--drivers and walkers are dividing up a scarce resource--the right to traverse the intersection.
  • there's laws, rules, and norms for each, I suspect particularly because of the conflict and power difference. We're both supposed to act in obedience to the traffic light.
  • reality is that drivers and walkers push the envelope routinely.  We mock a driver who obsessively follows traffic laws, like never speeding. We acknowledge jaywalking.
  • judging by my emotions, I feel some kinship with fellow drivers, also with fellow walkers; I'd guess that's a common feeling.
  • both sides can play mind games. As a driver I don't always yield to a walker in the cross-walk.
  • it seems to me mind games are the weapon of the weaker party. Personally, at the intersection I'm describing, there's are turn arrows.  When the through lanes change to red, the right turn arrow turns green.  After the turning traffic gets its turn, the turn arrow goes blank. A couple seconds later the walk sign turns on (and the turn arrow goes to blinking yellow).  I make a habit of starting to cross when the turn arrow goes blank-- figuring that means the turning traffic now needs to stop.  That means I'm often  stepping into the path of cars whose drivers are planning to slow but not stop for the turn.  I take satisfaction in imagining the drivers are frustrated, and perhaps will remember to be more cautious next time.

No comments: