Thursday, April 28, 2022

Changing Views of Right and Left--Personal

Twitter activity on how left and right have changed, as here:

I don't know about the national picture.  I do know I've always considered myself on the moderate left and my views have changed sometimes:

  • In the 1950's liberals were still supporting public power, the path marked out by the New Deal in the TVA and Bonneville power. That's no longer the case.
  • In the 1950's/60's liberals thought that ending legal  segregation and establishing things like civilian review boards would be sufficient.  No longer the case.
  • In the 1970s I was called for a month's jury duty in DC.  For one case I was successful in getting off on the basis I couldn't be impartial in a marijuana possession case.  Despite that, I've never been high on legalizing pot, though by now I'm a reluctant supporter.
  • Liberals used to have no opinions on legalized gambling; now I guess they support it but it's not a top issue and I still dislike it. 
  • Back in the 1950's/60's liberals supported decolonization and were hot for foreign aid. 
  • In the 1990's many liberals supported the "Washington consensus" on global free trade.  I still do, but that seems to put me in the minority.
To be continued, maybe.

No comments: