Friday, March 18, 2022

Learning to Drive

 One way we progress over time is by having role models and acquiring social capital over time. 

I joined a local facebook group devoted to helping Afghan refugees so I could buy items off their Amazon wish list.  Now as a member I get their requests for help--the latest one is for people to help learning to drive and passing the driving test.

That was traumatic for me, so I thought about it.  Both refugees and some people whose families have always lived in urban areas without experience with cars face the same problems:

  • first is access to a car 
  • second is someone with a driver's license to sit in the passenger seat
  • third is experience
  • fourth is someone to take you to DMV for the test.
People whose families have drivers and cars have no real problems, but those who don't have a real hurdle to entry into the world of licensed drivers.

No comments: