Friday, September 03, 2021

The Olden Days--Tramps and Newsreels

 Remembering our childhoods with a relative this morning.  Two things I thought of later:

  • after the war there was, for a while, discussion of tramps and hobos. That's died out.  I wonder whether the people who would have moved around in the 1920s-40s are similar to the people who now find themselves homeless, at least the males?
  • discussions of popular culture move from the radio age to the TV age. It's common, I've done it myself, to note that during the 1950s-80s news came into the home through the 3 main networks, as compared to the diversity today.  What I don't think gets noticed is newsreels:

images on a screen are much more powerful than news on radio, much more novel. 

most of middle class America regularly went to the movies, so newsreels were the medium for people to see images of the world.  I don't think there was much competition in providing newsreels.


No comments: