Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Worn-out Knees in Pants

 I now have a hole in the right knee of my LLBean jeans.  Don't know how long I've had them, but they're well faded and well stained, and I'm happy with the wear I've gotten from them.

Back in my youth, when I was harder on my clothes than I am now, and during the period when I didn't grow much, my mother would fix such a hole by cutting a rectangular piece out of the knee.  She'd take an old pair of jeans and cut a matching piece from the back of one of the legs, and then sew the repair patch into the hole.

I don't remember whether I wore those patched jeans to school; I may well have worn them for weekends and kept newer jeans for school, but I won't swear to that.

We don't do that anymore.  Back in my youth jeans were maybe $3 or so, roughly 3 hours worth of work at the minimum wage, or maybe the price of 30 hamburgers. These days I'll spend $25 on LLBean jeans (using sales) and a McDonald's quarter pounder is $3.75. Our 1949 Chevrolet seems to have cost about $1500 (I'd remember it as $1700).

I'm sure people still patch the knees of jeans, but not many. 

No comments: