Friday, December 07, 2018

Late-Life Discoveries

Sometimes it's amazing how stupid, or not exactly stupid but unaware, I've been.

I discovered yesterday that I comb my hair with my left hand.  That's surprising because I write right-handed and do everything else right-handed, although I have retrained to use my left hand to mouse when I developed carpal tunnel in the right.  The retraining took a while, but I got it done.

Partly this is triggered by a tweet replying to L.D.Burnett's tweet about typing, when I recalled how muscle memory kicked in towards the end of my half-year typing class in HS and suddenly I was typing 45-50 wpm instead of 10. 

It now makes sense of a childhood memory of adults conferring over my head on which side of my head the part should be.  Someone, I forget who, perhaps a barber or my father quoting a barber, saying to leave me to discover which way felt natural to me.  Somehow I did, though it still seems a little strange to see a photo where my hair is parted differently than the mirror shows.


No comments: