Some new issues include:
- Abortion. The debate owes much to the civil rights debate.
- Gay rights.
- Animal rights and welfare.
- Inequality (seems to be an easier way to discuss economic issues than poverty.
- A slew of foreign relations issues.
Some other old issues:
- Gambling is now legal most everywhere. When I was growing up it was only in the Catholic bingo nights and Nevada, so it wasn't really much of an issue.
- Poverty (which has come in and out of national consciousness--from FDR's one-third of the nation, to the War on Poverty.
- Decolonization, which was followed by the Third World.
- Blue laws and restriction of trade.
- Doctors and lawyers advertising for business.