- a steamer, the Stonewall, took fire and burned near Carbondate--222 lives lost.
- the Dublin Fenian Amnesty Association met and criticize PM Gladstone's decision not to release Fenian prisoners.
- short piece on President Grant and the gold speculation
- blurb on France--the Press not to be prosecuted for violations of Press law
- Austrian government censures Prince Metternich for being connected to a duel
- fires in Scranton (coal breaker), Bath, NY (flour mill) Marion IN (factory) burned.
- report on a schism in the Mormon church
- summary of crop report from USDA, "importance of draining and thorough culture"
- woman's suffrage convention in Hartford
- two ships sunk on the Great Lakes
- a report on the movements of President Grant
- WV elections
- report on affairs and movements of various bureaucrats and government affairs
- report on the salaries and expenses of our ministers (ambassadors) abroad, down to the penny.
- meeting of "colored citizens" sending delegates to the National Labor Convention
- telegrapher's strik
- letter to the Secretary of Treasury on taxes and tariffs
Monday, August 25, 2014
A Different Time: October 29, 1869 NY Times
Happened to run a query on the NYTimes archive (firewall) which resulted in the Oct. 29, 1869 issue being retrieved. Some the stories, all from the first page: