Friday, September 07, 2012

A Form for Autonomous Vehicles

Be still my heart--a form, a sure-enough honest to goodness form.

 I'm eagerly awaiting the day when I can turn my driving over to an autonomous vehicle like Google's.  As I may have said previously here or in some comment somewhere, I'm aware my capabilities are diminishing: my attention span is shorter, I'm more easily distracted and upset, and my reactions are slower.  All of which means the day is coming when I should no longer drive, which means a considerable blow to our lifestyle.

But it seems the great state of Nevada, blessed be its name, has actually come up with a form, an application for permission to test autonomous vehicles.  As any good bureaucrat knows, once you have a form, the rest is downhill all the way.

[Update: hat tip, Eugene Volokh at Volokh Conspiracy.}

No comments: