Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Senate Farm Bill and Farm Policy

Keith Good has a discussion, partly from Chris Clayton, of the provisions of the farm bill to be considered by Senate ag on Wednesday and the reactions of different farm groups.

I think I've reached the point where there have been so many changes in legal provisions over the years that I can't follow the draft very well.  For example, one thing which did strike me was the provision that the producer's decision would apply to all the cropland he or she controlled in the county.  That seems to be a break from the past in which an operator could have multiple farms in a county.   I don't know if that's right, and if it is, how much it will complicate the process of maintaining farm records.

The fact that program coverage is on planted acreage--don't know how that fits with WTO but since they did provisions for upland cotton to handle the dispute with Brazil I assume the writers are happy with it.

No comments: