Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fred Hoyle Is Laughing Now

When I was growing up there were a number of paperbacks, published I think by Ballantine, on science.  Isaac Asmov was one writer, Microbe Hunters was a title I remember, and Fred Hoyle was another writer.  I believe that's where I first heard about the "Big Bang" versus "Steady-State" theories of the universe--Fred was the leading proponent of Steady State.  Then the Big Bang won out and I thought certainty had been achieved, at least in that minor area of thought.  Then I saw this:

Big Bang Abandoned in New Model of the Universe

A new cosmology successfully explains the accelerating expansion of the universe without dark energy; but only if the universe has no beginning and no end.
I guess I'm doomed to die without knowing what sort of universe I really inhabit.

No comments: