Thursday, June 04, 2009

Wisdom and Sex and Race, and Age

Many on the right have attacked Judge Sotomayor for a quote from a 2001 speech. I was going to blog on it, then stumbled on the "whole thing", which I finally read. Here's a link. I like it. And recommend it.

But for anyone too lazy to check it out, here's the infamous quote, which the White House says is poorly worded: "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

Let me rephrase it: "I would hope that a wise old man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a wise young man who hasn't lived that life."

My point: I hope I'm wiser now at 68 than I was 20 years ago, much less 40. I'm sure I'm losing brain cells and slowing down. I've probably developed new blind spots and am less able to judge some things (like current popular music) than I was 20 years ago. But on the whole, I think I'm wiser. And that's because of added experiences, experiences which a wise Latina wouldn't have, but which I didn't have 20 years ago. And I'm willing to stipulate a Latina operating in a white male's world is likely to have a broader set of experiences than a comparable white male. So, given that logic, I'd concede my hypothetical Latina twin sister would be wiser than I.

No comments: