Sunday, July 27, 2008

The End of Food

The Times reviews the book, by Paul Roberts, in today's paper. The reviewer finds it to sound radical, but turn too moderate in recommended solutions. But, having giving the following praise, I'm not convinced of Mr. John Edge's good judgment:
Agribusiness and the industrial food it engenders have, of course, already attracted serious critics. Eric Schlosser’s “Fast Food Nation” exposed the ills of a lowest-common-denominator diet of burgers and fries. Michael Pollan’s “Omnivore’s Dilemma” traced among other things the perils of high-fructose corn syrup and grain-fed cattle. Both were works of literary journalism, well-reported and well-written meta-polemics that asked tough questions of both producers and consumers.
Constant readers know that I find Mr. Pollan to be a great writer but a less than great reporter.

I guess I'll have to read Mr. Roberts myself.

No comments: